Sunday, May 3, 2009

This April it POURED


I am a creature of habit. Every December approximately a week after the Blowout I burrow myself a nest under my comforter and piles of half packed/unpacked clothes scattered across my bed and bunker down for the winter. I begrudgingly leave my hibernation headquarters only to go to work or retrieve supplies (food.) I resent anyone who attempts to drag, trick or force me into social interaction. The few times I am dragged kicking and screaming into the daylight only have me clinging harder to my hermit den in the coming weeks. This lasts until March. I peel myself out of my pajamas, wash and tease my hair, scrub my face and go blinking wide eyed into the sunshine of Paid Dues. The world is shiny and new, the raindrops smell fresh and sweet, spring has sprung and I anticipate Summer in a whirlwind of excitement. Not this year. This year the world unceremoniously booted my ass out into the shivering wonderland of February for the Never Better tour. (Minneapolis in February, really? What was I thinking?) And then a slew of releases, shows and lovely company followed one on top of the other and before I knew it Paid Dues had come and gone and here I was staring April in the face. And April stared back. Hard.

I have been waiting, and waiting... And WAITING to hear more from F. Stokes since I first caught him opening for Hand Over Fist last summer at the Entry. I watched the other faces in the front row and witnessed that exact moment some of them fell in love. Beautiful. And what better way to chase away those April showers than with certified Lazerbeak lava bangers? If "Tickle Me Mars" doesn't get you moving you are dead inside. Still no sign of this on iTunes but readily available from our friends over at doomtree.net. Stokes is on the come up people.

Speaking of releases that I've been waiting on, I was practically camped out at my mailbox waiting for my Black Blondie cd to make its way to me. Being hard working ladies I've managed to catch them a handful of times during my visits to Minneapolis and it was a total case at love at first sight/sound. To be completely honest I gave up on stalking my mailbox about an hour after I placed my order and then downloaded the album from Amazon. Shortly after I frantically texted the first person I could think of that would enjoy it half as much as I was and badgered him into check them out so I'd have someone to share my excitement. Being friends with me is an exercise in patience. You can still check out their track Candy Cigarettes over at City Pages but I really urge you just to pick up a copy of your very own. The wait paid off this disc is solid from start to finish.

April also brought Mr. Lif back to Seattle. This made me very happy for several reasons. One, its has been at least two years since I've caught Lif live. Two, he brought a new cd with him. Now its not on a Mo Mega level but I enjoyed it. Three, Monday night rap shows are my favorite way to start the week. Monday nights weed out the kids just looking for something to do while getting sloppy drunk and you find yourself in a room full of people really digging the music and having a good time. That said by the time I laid my little head on my pillow that night I was indeed sloppy drunk. Fail.

Later that week, on Friday in fact, I spent the evening not getting sloppy drunk at the Sodo for the When God Gives You Ugly tour. Last summer I narrowly missed seeing Attracted to Gods (at I want to say the Hexagon?) so I was very glad to get my second chance. So all you kids running on rap time and showing up late to the Atmosphere show, don't. Be on time, catch the openers its completely worth your while. I really probably don't have to say anything about P.O.S. but I really do love me some Never Better. The chemistry he and Bill have just makes for a fun time. I wore peep toed flats in the center of the mob. Bye bye pedicure, I may still have bruises. Picked up a copy of Mankwe Ndosi's ep and ATG's new cd before retreating to a safe spot in the bar for Atmosphere's set. Those kids play rough man. In the bar solo, (my fella's do not have the same fear of teenage girls that I do) head nodding I noticed a familiar t-shirt make its way towards me. Money, Paper, Loot, Scrilla. I of course had to stop the young man because I couldn't believe my eyes. Was that really a Muja Messiah shirt here in Seattle? He named dropped the Nomad and I felt heartsick. Seattle and Minneapolis really should be neighbors.

Honorable mentions for things I threw cash at that stuck this April include the new Kill The Vultures, Rick Ross, The FREE Houdini Mixtape and Dyme Def's new ep. April came hard but May isn't messing around either people you know you have a big sloppy red heart drawn around May 5th. Fess up.

8 comments:

  1. mpls and Seattle should be neighbors my life would be better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if phoenix could be a hop skip and a jump away it'd be golden! don't forget K.'s release (which ron got and I hope you get soon) complete with bonus coffee art! Haha. GREAT blogging, Salina. You're a great writer. This makes me happy for spring, even though it's hot as balls here!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, you are a great writer! and what i like most is that this blog sounds like everything else you ever say. i can tell that you're not sitting at your computer, figuring out how to sound witty or cool. you is natural :) also, i hope you realize that this blog post right here is exactly what i wanted each time you went to another great show and i asked for a recap :)

    anyway, oh how i envy the fact that your life runs on a seasonal / yearly calendar that is marked by the blowout. and that you got to see POS 83743785 times this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like April treated you well. Honestly, reading that was like you were here speaking to me. Wonder filled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind words guys, glad you're liking what I have to say so far.

    @Samiha I'm neither witty nor cool so I promise to never attempt to sound that way. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Black Blondie- Yes!
    Muja Messiah shirt here in Seattle. word up, now if someone could bring Mu to Seattle? hmmm


    cheers/yo

    ReplyDelete
  7. jon jon- Yeah Seattle is waaay overdue for a Muja Messiah show. I'd love to see him do a show with THEESatisfaction, Candidt, Xperience & Macklemore. Could be a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hook it up and he'll be back for it

    chea

    ReplyDelete