Thursday, May 14, 2009

Stealing gas, buying music and taking names.

This morning I was lucky enough to sit down via aim with one of the hardest working men in the Northwest before he packed his bags to head off for Portland. Abadawn and I talk Seattle hip hop, digital and the death of hard releases, Camobear and what's next.


Salina: So you recently discovered you've had ten releases all before turning 21. Break those down for me.

Abadawn: 10 releases, that even surprised me. The first was in 2003 with my homie Assylum from California, we both went to a community school for expelled students, saw a lot of potential in eachother and began recording, we then released "Despite Rhythm: Chapter Won" under our own "label" Tactikz of Tongue. It was a very limited run...then I moved to Seattle and in 2004 released my first solo ep/demo "Earwig Romance" which caught the attention of indie label "Violent Art Records"...I still made music with my friends in California and we released the Tacktikz of Tongue Summer Compilation. In 2005 I put out another solo EP with Violent Art Records called "Kindergarten Dropout"..I also released a mixtape with my group then A.S.P. called the "Spare Change Mixtape."


Abadawn: after leaving the label due to unspeakable things the CEO pulled, I independently released another solo EP titled "Unfamiliar Ceilings", shortly after I dropped another backside EP to that "Unfamiliar Unreleased" which was strictly digital...in 2008 I teamed up with the label Elephant Memories, emcees Ariano and Mac Lethal, producers Sapient of Sandpeople, DiVinci of Solillaquists of Sound and tons more of my friends to put out the "Good Villain" LP.

Abadawn: then I released two digital mixtapes in 2009 called "Steal Gas Buy Music" volumes 1 and 2.... and that spells 10 releases.

Salina: Is there anything you wish you hadn't released? I know a lot of artists look back at their younger years and cringe.

Abadawn: Actually, no...I think I've become comfortable with my style, a lot of beginning emcees are on a journey to "find their style" but after a few releases I realized I've always had my style, and I'm at ease with it. I'm not completely satisfied with any of my releases so far...but that's part of being an artist and I'm perfecting it. I do not mind people hearing my old material though, some of it is considered my best work.

Salina: Walkman!

Abadawn: NUHHUHH!

Salina: Haha. Had to.

Abadawn: One thing I pride myself in is how hard I've made my releases to find. They're out there, I only own 3 of them...

Abadawn: and I'm not even gonna say how much some of my out of print material has sold for. It makes me mad.

Salina: Its insane how much obscure hip hop goes for on ebay. I'm a little ashamed on how much I've shelled out on a few releases myself.

Abadawn: you can't help it... I have a thing for First Edition Hardcover books.,..so I mean, to each their own.

Salina: Some of us ladies over at Lovefest HQ kind of have a grudge against internet only releases. Any plans for future SGBM mixtapes to have hard copy releases?

Abadawn: actually yes...I'm currently working on the third edition which will be physically released, and will accompany the new solo LP. Which has so many surprises in store that I really shouldn't even talk about it. but I am excited. after releasing Good Villain I felt like it would be hard to top...it's some great material, very heartfelt and personal.

Salina: Can we expect more ThirdEye Theory and other friends on Vol. 3?

Abadawn: oh yes... #3 will more than likely be a lot of ThirdEyeTheory collaborations, and tracks that are not making the LP's final cut.

Salina: Excellent, I think you guys work really well together.

Abadawn: They definitely bring out a different side of my lyricism, more fun, less serious, battle-esque stuff

Abadawn: plus they're fast rhymers, i'm more worried about pronunciation, so it's a good contrast on record.

Salina: How did you guys link up? I mean you can't turn a corner without tripping over a rapper these days. What makes you want to work with certain people?

Abadawn: back in the day I was down to work with anybody, a lot of rappers meet up and say "lets build, lets do this and that" but they never take action..I always have been serious about networking.

Abadawn: Recently I've been honored to work with more of my favorite artists, which is amazing on its own, but some people that are still struggling or are at beginning stages, but are hungry and determined to put in the work, always make me want to work with them too, feed off of that energy.

Abadawn: We actually met because I used a beat that i didn't know was stolen, and they used it too and said "wtf?" we were instant friends ever since. Oh yeah and they're dope. That is important too.

Salina: hip hop bffs

Abadawn: i have many!

Salina: You've done a lot of booking, helping route NW legs of tours, I imagine that helps a lot with the networking side of MCing?

Abadawn: definitely...I have to give major credit to that to Josh Martinez too...see, here in Seattle there's a certain booking giant, that is really picky about who they put on... they would NEVER book me, so I decided okay, it's time to do this myself...So I would look at who was coming through here, who should be coming through here and got in contact. After I booked and promoted a successful release party for Josh Martinez he was kind enough to tell others I was the go to guy for booking around here. Which gave me a lot of credibility and now people are asking me to help book dates rather than vice versa.

Salina: Seattle is tiny.

Abadawn: It is..the scene is massive, but everybody is connected and knows eachother in some way. my only complaint is...the somewhat favoritism. it seems that in this area what blows up is the opposite of what should be blowing up. a lot of great talent goes ignored, journalists will downright refuse to write about certain people...

Abadawn: maybe I'm just bitter because I seem to have a better draw anywhere other than Seattle. but that's how it works with local scenes.

Salina: I think every big art city is like that to a degree. Things get very tight knit and its hard to break through that sometimes.

Salina: It amazes me the local acts that don't have a bigger draw out here. I'll go out expecting a show to be packed and... nothing.

Abadawn: it's just overflooded though, certain people get this rep and get known, so then they are booked on the constant thinking they'll have draw but you can't play the same city every week and expect more and more people to show up.

Abadawn: I've always said my greatest fear would be landing a weekly...fuck that. once people have seen you they need some time to digest, nobody wants to see the same set 12 times in a row.

Salina: True, but it still shocks me when homecoming shows don't sell out. I've seen the kind of welcome home other cities give and it just doesn't seem right sometimes.

Abadawn: hip hop author William Upski Wimsatt claimed Seattle was the most ungenerous city, everyone has time and money but don't want to give you either. In past years I've learned that statement to be pretty truthful.

Abadawn: and another thing is, when you're a hip hop artist, your biggest fan base is other rappers, i mean let's face it, that is who is geeking out about underground artists. so the trick is, getting yourself on that level where other emcees want to see you.

Abadawn: I know in this city I'm kind of like a phantom

Salina: Ha, truth. I've commented more than once when I bring my metalhead/punk friend out with me that he and I are the only non rappers in the room.

Abadawn: haha it's and I've learned that my name is pretty known around the city, but people do not know me.

Salina: Of course he's not as nerdy as me and doesn't really see it but its true.

Abadawn: it's totally true, the average music listener is not going to be digging through underground artists and aren't going to be in tune with who is fucking amazing right now. rappers go to shows to cross their arms and pass judgement.

Salina: So who should average Joe and Jane be checking for this summer?

Abadawn: this summer? The Let Go...!!! I love these guys...I've been on a friend basis with them for a minute, I'm so happy they are working with the label I'm working with right now

Salina: Camobear! I love those dudes for real.

Abadawn: YES! they're going to do it big, I know it...Type has that determination that few other rappers have.

Salina: Type is probably one of the nicest AND hardest working rappers I have ever been fortunate enough to come across.

Abadawn: I think the only thing that's brought me this far is the determination, in this business you take HIT after HIT after HIT. to the wallet, to your emotions, even your physical well being. and a lot of people cannot put up with that. it's the thing that's brought Type, Grieves and I to where we are. Simply not giving in.

Salina: You've had a rough last year or so. Its been really amazing to watch and listen to what you've managed to put out under less than stable conditions. Energizer Aba

Abadawn: haha, it's been tough...my life has been a mess since 2006. maybe even before, but I know that's when real turbulance began. but it has also helped me musically, my music is an escape from what is going on in my life, a way to pen out that frustration.

Abadawn: and it also has made me more determined than ever, despite any circumstances music is the only thing I've been good at and stuck with, there's no way I can stop now, or let anything slow me down.

Salina: It can't be easy trying to find the balance between that and the business angle.

Abadawn: it is tough, when i'm in business/marketting mode I cannot write..I can only focus on that...but it's good it gives me a breather, time to focus on another aspect. and it's also a damn good thing to know.. some of the worst rappers have made careers out of knowing proper negotiating and marketing tactics.


Salina: A-dwiddy status.

Abadawn: pretty much.

Salina: You've been putting in work over at Camobear, what can we look forward to over there in the next year or so?

Abadawn: well...a whole new makeover, everything is going digital, we're making a whole new blog-style website...Camobears catalog (not even counting their subsidiaries) is so extensive and pre-dates the popularity of the internet, so we're playing catch up and getting organized, and once that is all done for, you better be ready for a slew of new releases.

Abadawn: I've been so honored to be given this oppurtunity. Josh has really put trust in me and I'm learning the entire back-end of running a label.

Salina: Digital... you're breaking my heart. Will there still be some physical releases?

Abadawn: yes, mainly short-runs printed in house. We're done dealing with outside sources, the plan is to be a self-sufficient label. so that we are doing absolutely everything ourselves. and though a ton of people still love physical copies, it is a dying breed...so we do need to cater to the interwebbers.

Salina: I think my cd collection alone is almost worth a small fortune already. I can only imagine what that could jump to in the future as more and more outfits go that route.

Abadawn: CD's will be the new vinyl...vinyl will be the old vinyl. the sad thing about digital really...is the quality. it's practically not worth mastering anything anymore, considering that giant protools session of massive wav's you're perfecting is going to be condensed to a 192kbps mp3 that's strictly listened to through earbuds..

Abadawn: the internet has made people more picky about what they listen to and pay money for, which is what is crippling the major labels and helping the indies. but then the cost-effectiveness of quality that's going to be ruined anyways is hurting the indies

Salina: We finally got Abadawn t-shirts this year. Is there more merch in our future?

Abadawn: ooooooh yes.

Salina: "Can't download a t-shirt"

Abadawn: lots of plans...it's just a matter of time really. I will be working with Someone Clothing, and I will be working with Camobear...and right now I'm spending time in the trenches, gaining favors...

Abadawn: plus I still feel like Good Villain needs it's time. I am very proud of that release, and I've always rushed material...so I'm taking my time...

Abadawn: this next one is going to be amazing though, I'm pretty much done with the first draft of it...waiting on a few features...and then I will build from there.

Salina: I wish more people would take time and play around with mixtapes. Save up for really quality official releases.

Salina: This isn't McDonalds you know.

Abadawn: haha it's true. I could package it up and release it right now...but it's not ready

Salina: No more McRap

Abadawn: I want every song to be individualized.. I'm working much more on telling stories...so you can expect that. as well as much more energy and up-tempo songs. I've always been proud of my versatility and have tried to show it with my releases but I think this one is definitely going to accomplish that...

Salina: Will I see you on the road this summer?

Abadawn: I'm not absolutely sure at this point...touring is always something that for me is promised or planned, and then doesn't go through...I will definitely be doing shows all over...maybe not on specific routes but I do have midwest shows in the works as well as some californ-i-a

Salina: Georgia's couch is super comfy and her neighborhood has excellent breakfasts. If you don't at least make it to Cali it would be a shame.

Salina: Midwest! Take me with you please.

Abadawn: i think this summer I'm mostly going to be toying around with the new material...seeing what goes over well with the people

Abadawn: pack you up in my suitcase. I have a couple people that owe me touring... so it's on them.

Salina: Speaking of Georgia, I told her we were sitting down and asked if there was anything she wanted to know.

Abadawn: oh

Salina: She wants to know: "How much he loves us"

Abadawn: I love you guys soooooooOOO much. here to the moon and back.

Abadawn: plus you guys have put together the best new blog on the net, and I'm honored to have such awesome friends.

Salina: Haha I'd say we promise never to swear like sailors on your voicemail at 3am again but we'd be liars.

Abadawn: it's always welcome...if there's one thing i love it's drunk females harassing me.

Salina: Awe thank you, it means a lot that people are willing to support us as green as we currently are at this blog thing. We promise to get a little better every day.

Abadawn: You guys are already the best...now I need to go pack for Portland and get ready for label meetings and pimpslapping

Salina: Safe travels!

Abadawn: thank you and thank you

You can purchase Good Villain and download Save Gas Buy Music here.

6 comments:

  1. An amazing conversation between 2 people that are passionate about music, their city, their friends and hip hop as a whole.
    This blog, Aba, Type, BCR and a few other things are what's right with hiphop and will keep it quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ladies are amazing. Keep doing what you do! Much ♥ and respect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great interview salina! i knew that aba was working for camobear, and that he self-released a lot of his work, but i don't think i fully understood how many behind-the-scenes things he does and how DIY he is. major respect for doing that and still persevering.

    ps i love that "georgia's couch" is one of the labels for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Georgia's spot is Lovefest HQ South Left. Respect the couch.

    ReplyDelete