Monday, May 11, 2009

did you hear...

So I don't have any albums to review because I am terrible at finding new music.
I did see P.O.S. open for Cursive on Friday... I could talk about indie rock meets hip hop... but well that is a bit predictable.
I want to contribute and be a part of this blog, and if you have ever met me, you know I love talking about rap and have a million opinions.

So lets go ahead and talk about why I like rap, what kind of rap I like, just so you know where I fit into this little clan of ladies.
I noticed a pattern when Salina asked who my favorites are; I listed Aesop, Sage, Astronautalis, buck 65 and Cecil... nerd rap? backpack rap? call it what you will - that's where I fall.

To break it down really like words, I really love storytellers, and I really enjoy laid back beats.
Never been much of an instrumentals girl unless they really hit me... I don't play any instruments so I'm harder to pull in.
I really relate to a good story, some well told words and well if you have some rasp in your voice it's over.

I've always loved a litte twang, and a deep voice. I think I came into hiphop with a totally unconventional outlook.
Anything with interesting instruments, or unusual samples will pull me in.
If you have a female vocalist featured on a track I will be smitten.
I don't care how many big words you use, how fast you flow, and I wont lie I don't really listen to the rap classics.
I grew up on Tom Petty, The Beatles, Don McLean, and the like...

My taste in music is all over the map when it comes to non-rap.
I'm rooted mostly in punk - typically things out of Chicago. I guess I've got a midwest heart...
Currently - listening to a lot of the Gaslight Anthem.. the '59 sound is on repeat in itunes as I write.
I rekindled my love for them after a heavy stint of K's The Responsive Chord, and Astronautalis The Mighty Ocean and the Nine Dark Theaters.
I'm one of those girls who will play an album on end for weeks without changing it up.

My favorite thing in the world is to drive around listening to a new album.
I hear things the best in my car.. with the windows down. I always volunteer to drive, needing radio control.

Basically I just wanted to put my taste out there, and show what part of the little rap love fest i fit into.
If you ever have something i should check out tell me - I always will.

1 comment: