Monday, May 18, 2009

Holy Mixtape Madness, Batman!






It's going to be a good summer. My favorite season. Poolside conversations, drinks with umbrellas, birthdays (holler, Cancers!), sunburns, and lots of air conditioning if you live in Phoenix, like me.

I define my summers by the jams I listen to, and this summer is not going to be a disappointment! There's a new trend going around to which I am never going to object:

FREE MUSIC!


The summer is off to a great start. Soundset. New artists. And mixtapes galore. Here are some gems that have recently come out that will surely give you something to bump to.

Prof and St. Paul Slim "Recession Music"

Mes the Jive Turkey "Stealing Stars"

Cage "I Never Knew You"

K. "Sangria Mixtape" (coming soon)

Brothers Backword "Stupid Intelligent Mixtape"

Drake "So Far Gone"

Cool Kids "Gone Fishin"

Themselves "Free Houdini"

DJ Hevehitta & DJ Unexpected "Flawless Hustle"

Lil Wayne "Red Rum"

Added: PPP "The Abundance"

Added: Girl Talk "Feed the Animals" (not necessarily free, but you choose your price)

Added: El Guante "Conscious Is Not Enough"

Added: Soundset Mixtape

Added: Rob Viktum's Snack Pack 2.5

Added: Jabee & aDDlib


I'm really stoked on the idea of free mixtapes and downloadable songs. Artists are beginning to branch out and away from depending on major record labels and music stores to distribute their material. The whole DIY vibe is much more accessable, realistic (it's hard to muster up the courage to spend $15 on an album unless I'm SURE I love it), and enables the fans to gobble up more releases from their favorite artists. Sure, losing the hard-copies of albums hurts artists like me a little bit, who depend on people buying the physical copies to display their cover art, but in the case of GahedinDIE, we always include the artwork to make the realeases more interactive.

Times in the music business are changing, but as far as I see it, differen't isn't necessarily worse!

Long Live Free Music.


(I'll edit this and include more mixtapes as I come across them in the next couple weeks, so keep an eye out)


-Jamee


P.S.- not sure what happened to the Kid Cudi mixtape. Can't find it anywhere on the net anymore! Anyone find a site hosting it? Or are we looking at a revoked leak?


6 comments:

  1. This is some boss ish right here, Jamee! Word up for the post. If you're doing Soundset, I guess I'll be bumping into you more or less. If I don't see you, I'll just ask Salina what's good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep great post and links are always awesome.

    lovefest got it on lock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Kid Cudi links all got killed. Ho hum...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I'm glad you added the Guante even though its kinda old. Still a fave. I'll be sure to download the few of these I don't already have before my flight Thursday, thanks lady! Also Mes and Fishr Price ain't messin' (hee) around. I think I have a slightly rougher version of November Blast that I've been digging for a while now but that whole project is dope. It doesn't hurt that some of my favorite people in the world appear in the drops. ;)

    And E, Jamee and I are both staying with Crista so I'm sure you'll see all of us around :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. Rob Viktum's Snack Pack 2.5: http://viktumsbeats.com/goodies/Rob%20Viktum%20-%20Snack%20Pack%20Vol.%202.5%20.zip

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jabee & aDDLib
    Black Cotton Mixtape
    mediafire.com/?jeemewhmngm

    ReplyDelete