Saturday, March 7, 2009

Interview with Salina

In order to get to know each lady better we're conducting a series of interviews. Here's how mine went down with Salina this afternoon.

-----------------------------------------------
G:By now everyone knows how we know each other but what shows have you seen and with which ladies?

S: Hmmn. I've seen more shows with our male counterparts than you ladies but... I saw Black Clover's Happy Holidays tour with you (Georgia) and Crista and then we were all at the Doomtree Blow out but you know how I do. I was rocking front row status with Eric and Ander so I didn't see much of you guys. Last month I saw the Never Better tour in Eau Clair with Crista, we road tripped from Minneapolis with some friends. It was a lot of fun but I was not feeling that crowd

G: Speaking of crowds - what differences have you noticed from Seattle kids to Minneapolis kids to Wisconsin kids at shows?

S: You're forgetting Kansas City, Portland, San Bernardino, etc. ;)

G: So to reframe the question - what differences have you noticed about crowds all across the country? :)

S: Seattle crowds can be fickle, it really varies from show to show. Its incredibly hard for a hip hop artist to sell out a show around here. You'll be out one night and Grayskul will only half fill the Chop Suey and then there will be nights like the Rudy and the Rhetoric cd release. Businesses were shut down at 6pm all over the city that night for "inclimate weater" and shows were being cancelled at other venues but R&R packed the Nectar and the energy was insane. I feel like we don't get that as often as we should out here.

Kansas City... those kids can drink man.

Soulcrate at the Riot Room is one of those things you'll carry with you your whole life. Unfuckwitable.

Minneapolis is nuts. Its like overload.

There's something going on all the time if you know where to look. I think I've caught up to three different shows in one night out there.

Its very tight knit too, you get the sense that everyone knows eachother.

After a while people recognize you too. The world is tiny.

Eau Clair... college towns man. Maybe it was just a bad night but girls were dropping like drunken flies having to be carried out. Fights and cops and whatnot. Just wasn't a good look.

Portland is all love. Very accepting. Not a lot of that elitist bullshit that can sometimes creep into "indieground" culture.

I think everywhere has their good and bad nights. Like anything else your experience is going to be what you make of it.

G: What is it about the artists (or hip hop in general) that has made you want to travel ridiculous distances to see them perform?

S: I have itchy feet. I want to get out there and just experience and live life. I don't want to just sit at home wishing for something to happen. If I can break away from my little nest and hang out with good friends, see new things and feel a little more immersed in our little community of music freaks then I'm going to do it.

G: What has been your favorite act to catch on the road?

S: Are you trying to get me to say the magic word?

G: Say it!

S: Honestly its a toss up. Between Soulcrate at the Riot Room and then again at the Entry its impossible not to list them but I think the answer you're looking for is Doomtree. I've caught those kids in almost as many cities as I've seen Black Clover so yeah I catch them on the road a lot.

G: Who is your favorite hometown or regional act to catch?

S: Thats the impossible question... they're all so fantastic.

G: Pleading the fifth?

S: Yes, its a multiplayer tie. I could list artists for days and still leave out someone who makes my heart stop.

G: You mention Doomtree - How did you get exposed and what about them made your "heart stop"?

S: Believe it or not but I'm pretty much a Janie Comelately on this whole Doomtree movement. They had that whole RSE connect. Ipecac Neat is so up my alley its the stuff my dreams are made of. That was quickly followed by Lights Out Paris and Dessa's False Hope. Meat Tape, it all kind of snowballed from there I've always been really in awe of the diy ethic. Not just musically but the entire movement in general. And outfits like DTR and BCR completely embody everything thats beautiful about it. "We are not for them." If you don't like it cool, we didn't make it for you anyways. Did you catch that printed on the Never Better disc? Its in the center, backwards. I love it. Its my new mantra.

G: Yes, and I am so glad I decided to pick up a copy at the DC show. Best purchase of the year. Who would you predict as the next family member of DTR to break out?

S: Really hard to say. I've always got one eye on Sims and one on Mike and Beak but with Cecil signing to SFR he's going to have that bigger label support and better distribution.Lazerbeak. Definitely Beak.

G: Everytime I hear his name I cant help but say it in the way it's sampled during their shows.

S: YES! Me too. He's everywhere right now. Dude is unstoppable.

G: What are you looking forward to the most this year with all of the tours coming up / album releases coming out?

S: I Self Devine has one coming, Ab Rude (FINALLY), The Veldt (hopefully), F. Stokes and Lazerbeak are dropping an EP this month, I'd love a full length from the Millionth Word...There's so much buzz going on all over with everyone its going to be and has been so far an amazing year musically. Paid Dues and Sound Set are definitely the high points of my Spring every year. I can't wait to hang out with you (Paid Dues) and Crista and Jamee (Sound Set) its nice to have some girl accompanyment at shows now and then.

G: You're always sending me links to some amazing fashion. Do you think fashion and hip hop need each other and how do they work to influence each other?

S: Yes and no. Hip hop doesn't need fashion but fashion is clinging hard to hip hop.I think we all definitely benefit from having our own personal style. It reflects our personalities a gives us confidence. You just get that swagger when you feel good in what you're wearing. I mean I'm probably a little more daring or careless or whatever the polite term these days is for "hot mess" in what I wear compared to most of us? Its not about what you're wearing, or it shouldn't be. I know I stick out like a sore thumb at shows on occasion. But I LOVE every single piece in my closet so no matter what I throw on our how I put it together I like what I'm wearing. Being comfortable in your own skin is the only element of style that matters.

G: Why did you want to organize this blog?

S: Um, I think it was Cody's idea at some point on the board and I love that we all have very... loud points of view. I wanted us to have an outlet for that. Somewhere thats ours, outside of the boys. I love them but I really feel that its important to have that female voice too you know?

G: Speaking of the lethalboys - what are some of the best times you've had with them?

S: I think that night we were all at the Entry for the Happy Holidays tour was pretty dope. That and Sound Set weekend were both really fun. I think the best is yet to come.

G: What can we expect from your entries?

S: Just me. I'm a little all over the place. You'll get a lot of music, maybe some style, I might try my hand at a vlog or two. You probably won't get many pictures out of me and if you do its only with a little help from my friends. What do you want to see?

G: I want to see some amazing reviews (shows, releases, up and coming artists) - your knowledge of music is amazing - share it. What are you looking forward to from the other ladies?

S: More of Jamee's AMAZING art and hopefully a few Gahed updates as well :) She also has at times a very different take on artists/music than the rest of us so I think she's going to get me thinking and questioning stuff a lot. I welcome that.

Crista is one of the most amazing people I've ever met so anything we're lucky enough to get from her will be a treat. She watched a lot of this stuff we're into or talk about happen. Her taste in music is widespread and really great I'm so glad she's on board. Picture timeline?

Samiha is the baby sister but could probably school me on 90% of hip hop. I can't wait for a nice cross between repping NWFresh and NYC. She's so passionate about EVERYTHING. The excitement is contagious.

Cody I'm pretty sure is the one who said, hey lets all blog about shit. She's my inspiration. I don't know as much about her musical inclinatons so I'm really excited to get more of a taste of what she's into outside of BCR. She's a party girl after my own heart.

Georgia. What aren't I looking forward to seeing from you? I'm hoping we get to collaborate on things a lot. I'm anxious for updates from a Midwest girl in LA, a grassroots organizer, a hip hopper, a fellow redhead. More vlogs please.

No comments:

Post a Comment