Sunday, March 8, 2009

Ahhh Springtime


I'm Jamee. I'm a pseudo-hippie-gypsie-artist. I'm with a crew called GahedinDIE, currently residing in the arid Phoenix, AZ. I'm a transplant from Minnesota (central Cali before that) trying to get back to my roots. I was raised on the "range" (yah, sure, youbetchya!) in northern MN to a family of five.

Somewhere between my senior year of highschool and the year after that, I found Hip Hop. Or, it found me. A coworker played "Fuck You Lucy" as she scraped the ice off her window, and I remember being totally consumed by curiosity for this interesting sound and emotional delivery. Since then, I was driving the 4 hours each way to Minneapolis to attended weekends chock-full of shows. By myself. It didn't matter who came, and I waited for shows alone, bored but anxious, and it didn't matter. Since then, I've collected numerous albums, learned of tons of new artists, and have even gotten to work with some, doing live art and graphic design for:

P.O.S.
Sims
Digitata
Mel Gibson and the Pants
Carnage
Toki Wright
Ernie Rhodes
Jimmy2Times
Kanser
Last Word

I've learned the ugliness of the business, I've met the shady promoters and the stingy managers, I've seen the transactions and the riders, and I've seen a lot of misunderstandigs go down. But the music still gets to me.

I'm on my way back to Minneapolis, back to struggling to pay rent for a tiny apartment and working my ass off to network and hopefully eventually have my own show in the MiniApple debuting my work.

I love this time of year.

2 comments:

  1. seriously, it's so awesome that you so regularly made that crazy trek to mpls simply for music.

    and wow i didn't know that you've worked with so many artists! you're mad talented and i always love seeing your art :)

    ReplyDelete