Saturday, March 7, 2009

Georgia On My Mind

Earlier today Georgia and I sat down on aim and took turns interviewing one another to give you all a basic idea of who we are and what we're about. Georgia is our Greenpeace, grassroots, crazy, Fargo loving LA transplant. Here's what she had to say.

S: How do you know each of the other girls? (cody, crista, jamee, samiha, salina)
G: There's a little place on the internet "lethalville.net" that got me connected to some amazing people that happened to be supporters of the same independent hip hop label. The ladies happened to be posters. since then I've met up with Salina, Samiha, and Crista across the country at hip hop shows.

S: Why write a blog with them?
G: Because they're all beautifully intelligent. There's also a stereotype about females at hip hop shows. We're proving that stereotype wrong. I wanted to be part of a group of strong women.
S: What's the stereotype?
G: Stupid girls. Girls that are looking to get wasted and hook up with an artist. Girls who get dragged to the show by their boyfriend, get wasted, and grind with him at the front of the stage. Girls who don't appreciate the artistry that goes into the final product. Girls that couldn't even tell you who was just on stage performing.
S: Does that make you wary of all girls you see at shows?
G: Unfortunately yes. I don't feel like there's any depth to a high percentage of them. I don't think I could form friendships with most of them the way I've been able to with the lethal ladies. BUT - if they're paying for their ticket and supporting groups I love then that's cool, have a fun time, I just don't have a lot of respect for those girls. wow, someone slipped some haterade into my water this morning
S: haha, workin' on that LA elitism? ;)
G: apparently

S: So we've got representation fairly well spread over the map, you're one of our midwest girls, Fargo. What was it like growing up there?
G: The nicest way I can say it is that it was a process. It took a while to come into my own and definitely didn't happen until college. It took some great friends to introduce me to Atomsphere and from there I never looked back. I got my hands on any RSE release that came out. I saw any show that came my way. Hip hop became a release for all of my awkward years. I talk a lot about the spiritual experience I get from attending shows - not religious, but there's something about it that definitely fills me up. Especially having artists in the Midwest they were talking about what I knew. I didn't know East Coast or West Coast. I knew the Midwest. I love where I'm from. Everyone should. We are who we are now because of where we came from. To sum up Ernest Rhodes and his thought on that subject: If you don't love where you're from at least be constructive of your criticisms. Our communities shape who we are and hopefully give us the push we need in whatever direction that may be.

S: As you said you do talk a lot about those "moments" what was yours? The one that really sold you on hip hop and you knew that was just it.
G: To narrow it down is really really hard. There have been a lot of great Fargo moments, Minneapolis moments, a great DC moment, a great Sioux Falls moment, and a great Hollywood moment. But the one that sticks out to me was seeing Brother Ali at First Ave in Minneapolis. It was his homecoming show after having been on tour to promote "The Undisputed Truth." I had been at other shows along the tour but NOTHING compared to the energy his home town gave him. Booming chants of "Ali! Ali! Ali!" went on for minutes before he took the stage. When he finally did the crowd exploded. The show was unlike anything I had seen. These kids were waiting for Ali to come home. Ali was waiting to come home. When they all got to be at home together all I remember thinking the whole time was "wow, this is something really special"

S: You actually lived in Minneapolis for a while. With that being almost the center of the "underground" hip hop community right now what was that like?
G: Incredible. There was a show every day of the week if you looked hard enough. Whether it was a major artist like Atmosphere, POS, Doomtree, or Brother Ali playing at home, or cats like Toki Wright, St Paul Slim, Kanser, I Self Devine, Muja Messiah (really the list could go on) The great thing about the Midwest is that no matter what you do in life there is a great sense of community about it. All these artist put on shows with each other. They're all helping with bookings, promotions, and merch tables. They're all working to lift up the Midwest in the most positive manner possible

S: And now you're a recent LA transplant, what's that like?
G: Weird!Everything here is really spread out and the mass transportation not so great, so I feel if I DID know about shows I'd have a hard time getting to them. The Winters and Losers Tour was the only show I caught out here. You and I are planning to get to Paid Dues - but it's an hour away without traffic, which is easily done in the Middle of Nowhere, but right now we have no idea how we're getting there. Loving hip hop is easy in the Midwest. But - the lethalboys and Mae that were at the show were some of the most genuine people I've met in my two and a half weeks here.

S: Musically, what are you into besides hip hop?
G: During high school I was big on Dave Matthews Band. It started because I had heard about their charity work, which blew me away. The music came second and quite naturally. I'd give my right arm to be able to see The Beatles, or The Doors. Wookiefoot is a great Minneapolis act- more geared toward the hippies and festi-heads. The Bobs of my heart are Dylan and Marley. The Bens of my heart are Harper and Folds. I also like Jack Johnson for his smooth mellow reassurance. It's a disgustingly long list so I'll let it chill at that. And Abadawn (because he'd be upset if I didn't say so)
S: Hey now, Aba's hiphop you little name dropper! Don't think you're sneaky
G: ; )
S: If you want to talk NWFresh that's fine. Who else are you into from my neck of the woods?
G: Grayskul, Jake One, Boom Bap Project, Type
S: I'm sensing a theme
G: people that are linked to the midwest?
S: *cough*Rhymesayers*cough*+Type
G: wellllllll... yeah. but that's where i started getting exposed - i'm sure being out here i'll be introduced to others. sir mix-a-lot, how's that
S: Josh Martinez?
G: aba's slowly working me on josh
S: Buck Up Princess?
G: no?
S: I have the tour only version , we'll hook that up. That's how I got Samiha into him and now I think she's a bigger fan than I am
G: i feel like she'd take everything to the next degree. girl has some serious fire
S: And she's the baby how crazy is that? Have you seen her QN5 zine?
G: i'm glad she got an early start
S: My QN5 knowledge begins and ends at Cunninlynguists but its a pretty amazing web publication.

S: You and I are pretty much the "jet setters" of the group. Of all the cities and venues what is your absolute favorite spot to catch a show?
G: depends on the artist. I'd much rather see an act in their hometown, but it was pretty amazing to see the response POS got at Rock and Roll Hotel in DC. Kids knew his songs word for word. (and Mike and Sims)

S: So... I keep waiting for you to mention MeandYouCrew...
G: Since you brought them up . . what would you like to know?
S: I'm just surprised you haven't mentioned them. I knew I'd get Aba and Ernie at some point. I kind of figured MeandYouCrew would be thrown in too. Hometown love and all.
G: The thing about MeandYouCrew is that it's essentially Jem P and his Brother DJ Scissorfist. Kipp G is they hype man and promoter. Kipp is why so many artists come to Fargo in the first place and then return.
S: So when I drop my highly anticipated solo album I should hit Kip up about a Fargo gig?
G: absolutey - he'll book the show and tell all 2,000 of his facebook friends to go.
S: Awesome, I'm on it. Aba of course will book the Northwest leg.
G: of course. he'll having you as opening for him when camobear signs him
S: I've demanded he bring Carnage to Seattle.
G: he puts on a good show
S: I mean how dope would a Kristoff Krane + Carnage show be out here? I can vouch most NW kids have seen nothing like it.
G: would they understand it?
S: Oh yeah, how could you not be into that?
S: Speak of the devil, Camobear just friended me on myspace. ;)

S: So what do you do when you're not attending shows? I know you have one of the best jobs in the world.
G: If I were back home I'd be disc golfing like mad - but again, the transportation issue - I don't think it'll happen here. But when I'm not at shows I'm saving the planet. Or, since I have cable for the first time ever while living on my own, I watch movies. I do a lot of Yoga when I can - I'm looking forward to trying out the studios in my neighborhood. I'm also looking forward to hiking around Griffith Partk. OH! And I really want to go see the Pacific Ocean (not from an airplane)

S: So we know you're down with the RSE crew but how else do you find new music?
G: Through friends suggestions. One of my good buddies back home, Case, is a wealth of knowledge. So he usually tips me off to really great artists. He was one of the biggest influences in expanding my love of hip hop. Last year he started making mix cds for every month of the year so I heard a lot of new stuff that way. I also find new music from opening acts of other groups I like - or suggestions from the groups themselves.

S: Best new discovery of 2009 so far?
G: It's too early - I can't say I've been exposed to anything new yet. I was so busy with interviewing, training, and moving for the most part. Do you have a suggestion?
S: Its not hip hop but I started listening to a lot of Wavves last month. Very noise, loud, chaotic. Kind of surf rockish. Anything that samples whales is okay with me.
G: haha, surfers

S: What can we expect from your blog entries?
G: Photos. Maybe a backlog of previous shows until I figure out LA - but I much prefer using photos and videos to capture the moments rather than trying to express something with words that is sometimes such a personal experience

S: Give us a break down of your current playlist?
G: Yesterday I was in the office by myself so I was easing off the midwest into the west coast. I played Brother Ali's "Undisputed Truth" (In anticipation for his new release) Kanser's entire catalogue, Silentarmy's catalogue, some Jurassic 5 with KRS-One's "prophets vs profits"

No comments:

Post a Comment