Saturday, August 22, 2009

So You're Going to Beerfest . . .



. . . . Here's Someone You Should Be Familiar With


Most of us going to Black Clover Beerfest are already well versed in Mac Lethal and Soulcrate. Those of us that grew up in the Midwest may already be down with Prof, the newest Black Clover crew member. But I would bet that most of us hadn't heard of Akream - until now. I am here to solve the mystery.

Akream is one of the most genuine people I have never me and had the opportunity to interview this evening. On the verge of more national exposure with Mac Lethal guesting and producing his upcoming album, he will be hitting the road in November through 2010 and his album, "For The Kids," will be out in January. Akream's personal site - www.akream.com - is going to be getting a face-lift soon, so everyone needs to keep their eyes pealed. Until then - enjoy the Q & A.


Georgia (G)

You're traveling quite a ways for Black Clover Beerfest. How did it come about and what are you doing to prepare for it?

Akream (A)
I am! Further than anyone else I assume

G
it's true, i checked

A
I've brought Mac to Alaska a couple times for shows. Sku came the first time as well. We all hit it off pretty well. Then Mac asked me to come rock the Beerfest. While he was here in April, he offered to executive produce my album. Kinda oversee it creatively

G
How does one go about "brining Mac to Alaska"?

A
I contacted him, made an offer, bought tickets and made it happen. I'm linked with all the venues up here so it was a snap.



G
We tweeted earlier about your "hardcore past" what did that stem from?

A
Well my content has always kinda leaned that way. But I came up kinda fucked up and was involved in some unsavory practices for the better part of my life. I've chilled a bit the last few years.

G
"DP" is, what I gathered, a highly sexualized album - how has marriage and children affected your writing style?

A
It's not as sexualized as you might think. The title was an inside joke. I meant more of the hustle talk and all that. As well as my demeanor on my songs.
Marriage has help me to look at things from a different perspective. My goal now is while you're listening to my music, I want you to be able to smile the entire time. That goes for live performance as well. I may perform a little hardcore ish at beerfest though. IT'S BEERFEST! HAHA.

G
So talking a big game?

A
What I was speaking was complete truth. It's just a fucked up way to live and I have several friends in prison and have for years. I just woke up before I ever had to spend a day in jail. That was my life though.

G
Did the music help you get through all that?

A
The music did help. It was a constant reminder that I wanted better for myself than to be a life long drug dealer, ya know. I want to make people happy, not ruin lives.

G
A lot of people would think that hip hop and drugs go had in hand, there are definitely a lot of major label artists out there that started out dealing. Why do you think the two have become so closely related?

A
Well, i think when you come from nothing, drug dealing is easy to get into and I kinda grew up in it. Didn't have to seek it out. It was always there. the same people can't afford to buy instruments and start a band but anyone can rap. You have rappers now that didn't even listen to rap until 2004 and all of a sudden they are an MC. Hip hop was a fixture in my life from the time I was a baby. I was born in 80! That's what it was all about then.

G
How did Alaska influence your youth and your path with your music? How easy was it for you to get exposed to hip hop? (i grew up in North Dakota, it was hard enough up there)

A
Anchorage is a city like any other in America. The side of town I grew up on, hip hop was what was happening. I didn't listen to other types of music until I had girlfriends in my teens. See, hip hop was never a thing that I looked at from afar. My life was your typical hip hop upbringing. They just happened to have a name for it, ya know. I wrote my first rhyme in 88 when I was in 3rd grade.

G
One of our Lovefesters - Crista - is curious as to the scene in Alaska - how supportive are you all of each other? (some cities show more community love / respect than others)

A
Everyone is pretty supportive and we have a lot going on up here. I host b-boy events, I open up for every big act that comes up here. I won the Artist Of The Year Award at the Hip Hop awards here last year. I'm a fixture in the scene up here. A lot of people are inspired by the things I'm doing out of state now. Touring, beerfest, etc.

G
That's pretty remarkable- sounds like Beerfest is in for a real treat.

A
I surely hope so. I'm nervous because I'm not sure if I'm what they expect to see. I'm not a black clover boy. Kinda got my own thing going, ya know. But I come to rock!

G
Wanting to see bcr boys is why i wanted to cover you - so that people can get to know you before beerfest. So why travel for beerfest - how do you see that benefiting your career?

A
Well, I'm doing well enough financially to do it, first of all. I'll give out mad cds and sell merch and it gives me more time to bond and strategize with Mac and the boys. And he's my friend and he asked me to come. Some people go on vacation. I go rock shit around the world.

G
How did your label, Arctic Flow, come about?

A
Got the logo, got my paperwork in order, started recording and promoting. Pretty simple. It helps to be a good mc or else why would anyone give a shit? haha. At first, I just wanted to be respected in my state. A few years later, it was bigger than me and kinda took on a life of it's own. To the point where more people knew about the label than the artists on the label.Kinda became more of a group than a label. Kinda like wu-tang. but we were always solo artists. That's why when I wanted to sign someone else, I started my other company, Ice Box Entertainment so that there was no confusion.

G
5 things beerfesters should know about you.

A
1. I'm very down to earth and love being social. Not standoffish at all


2. I am in a transitional phase musically so they will notice a wide spectrum in my set

3. My upcoming album is entitled, 'For The Kids'. The kids being us, the heads, the general public who still dares to dream and loves to have fun


4. I'm a married father of 2 who wouldn't have it any other way


5. I often wish I could sing better or play a lot of instruments so that I had more to offer musically.

G
A lot of artists are going the way of the live band - do you see that happening in your artistic future

A
I won't say it wouldn't ever happen. When I can afford to tour with a band, I probably will. But I am also truly content with 2 turntables and a microphone~

G
What's the tour process like for you? how easy are the promoters to work with?

A
It depends. I personally do well with nearly no sleep, living out a suitcase, performing every night for a couple of weeks and still remaining mentally intact. The promoters are like anyone else. Some are on top of their shit and are a joy to work with, others make me wonder why they agreed to do a show in the first place.

G
Is it hard on the family situation?

A
It can be but my family is awesome. They don't make 'em like my wife anymore. She's a hardcore chick and she handles biz while I'm away. Being away from my babies is the hardest and they are too young to understand why daddy isn't home

G
Anything else you want to add?

A
Lovefesters do it better~


To Akream - Thank you very much for your time this evening. We are all looking forward to kicking it at Black Clover Beerfest.

To those going to Black Clover Beerfest - Make sure you get to the Pre-Party early so that you don't miss out on Akream.





(photos courtesy of Akreams's myspace)

2 comments:

  1. Akream is the truth...can't wait till he tours in NYC

    ReplyDelete
  2. i read this whole thing the other day and forgot to comment on it.

    great interview.
    and im super jealous that i cannot attend beerfest w/ all of you fine people.

    ReplyDelete