Sunday, August 16, 2009

More No Bird Sing in my Headphones Please (now available on Amazon)

So I know its been a hot minute since I poked my head in over here but I promise I've been working on some things that I think will be pretty awesome including another collaboration with Miss Samiha. Enough excuses, the real reason for this post is that I desperately need to get something off my chest: No Bird Sing is the best thing to grace my headphones in the last six months. Easily.

It is safe to say our excitement about certain projects gets tossed around pretty frequently around Lovefest and among our extended family. I love that on a near weekly basis I get that "ZOMG" 3am text from Samiha quoting the most recent "best lyrics I've ever heard." And when Georgia recaps a show in which her "soul was touched" I can't help but smile. No Bird Sing makes me want to text everyone I have ever met at 3am all the time. To those who have actually received that text... I'm sorry, I hope I didn't wake you.

I was actually first introduced to No Bird Sing when they friend requested me on myspace believe it or not. I admit I physically cringe when I get a new myspace friend request from a music page, but I always find time to give whatever it is a listen before hitting deny. I think I barely got through the one song on their page before I was demanding to know where I could find more, following them on twitter and google stalking them. To save you the trouble the group is made up of members of both Hyder Ali and Abzorbr, they're described as "a cross between Crescent Moon and Black Keys", their cd comes out September 11th and they give me chills.

By now I'm sure we all know that a reviewer/critic I am not. So here's the part where I let you listen and draw your own conclusions. Those in the Twin City area may have noticed a certain young man who treks out to various shows and sets up his audio equipment in the back of the venue rain, snow or shine to record the sets. In case you were wondering many of those recordings can be found on Empty's Tapes. Among those recordings you will find No Bird Sing at the Triple Rock. I actually met John a few years back during the Mel Gibson and the Pants residency at the Nomad. After reading over that blog entry I realised he actually told me about NBS almost a year ago outside some show or other. I really dropped the ball on that one huh? In addition to these live gems you can also download ars poetica over at Culture Bully (where you can find plenty of additional NBS into) as well as Dead Leaves ft. Bo Ramsey over at Midwest Broadcast.

If all that isn't enough to pique your curiosity their upcoming album also features Eyedea, Kristoff Krane and Alicia Wiley. I can pretty much guarantee this will be in my top three releases of the year so if you are in the Twin Cities area or passing through I highly recommend scooting your tails on over to Eclipse Records on September 11th and the Triple Rock on September 12th for those release shows. Did I mention the 11th is ALL AGES and Big Trouble and El Guante+Big Cats! will also be performing? No excuses youngins. For all the old fogies (18+) the Triple Rock show will feature Black Blondie (be still my heart), Kristoff Krane and James Diers. Oh and the most awkward redhead alive (yes me) just might be in town for both.

I know some of you probably can't wait all the way until the 11th to witness a live set and I feel your pain... but you don't have to because you can catch them earlier in the month on the 5th at the Clapperclaw Festival... but you better tell me all about it because the line up for that is really great. How pretty is that? You know you want one.

*Update* Digital album now available on Amazon, $8 well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment