Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Q's&A's with the "Rocky Dennis" Tour Crew

Last weekend Miss Crista came to visit the East Coast for the first time. Our plan was to attend a few shows as the "Every Never is Now" tour stopped through the Mid-Atlantic Region. While she was here, there happened to be another tour rollin' through as well! In anticipation of Dez & Nobs' new album "Rocky Dennis", said to release this spring on Grizzly State Records, Dezmatic, along with a few friends, were playing shows up and down the East Coast. Unfortunately, by the time Crista arrived off of the plane that Friday night, we showed up at the Strathmore Mansion just as Educated Consumers, Timmy Wiggins and Dezmatic were shaking hands with fans, thanking them for their purchases at the merch. table and seeing them off for the evening.
(Ps. I want my money back for those tickets, haha)

--Actually, although we were disappointed to have missed their live performances, I was super stoked to get a handful of copies of "Rocky Dennis", as it was only available for advanced purchase on this tour--



Thankfully, Lovefestonline.com and The 'Rocky Dennis' Tour had some mutual friends on the 'Every Never is Now' tour, performing the following evening at DC9. So before the show on Saturday, March 6th, we had a chance to catch up with them at Uncle Ben's Chili Bowl in our Nation's Capital to chit-chat about the new album, "Rocky Dennis", how their tour was going and some other randoms.

*** NOTE: Since I am the worst interview-er in history, the environment of the restaurant was hectic & loud, and there were so many people involved in the conversation, I will be paraphrasing the interview Q's & A's ;)


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Lovefest: In the new video for "Dwight Gooden", its hard not to notice the fact that you guys are eating in every other scene. What is one favorite local spot of yours?

Dezmatic: Definitely Cafe 217. Its a breakfast spot that's open for the late night crowd. Ya know, a place for people to stop on the way home from the bars.






Lovefest: Name 5 "Must Have" places while on tour.


Dez: Ohhh, this is a great question because this is what we do. We love to eat and try new things. We're at one of them now, actually. Uncle Ben's Chili Bowl (DC) is always good. In Pittsburgh there is a place called Primanti's. When you're in the South, of course you're going to want to get BBQ, so I'm going to say Miss Ruby's Kitchen in Raleigh, North Carolina. Also, in New York, you have to stop at Crif Dog's.

Lovefest: Where is that located? In Brooklyn? The City? errr...

Dez: Nah, its in Manhattan. On St. Marks.

Seezmics: You know what I really like? I think Sonic is great.

Izzie: So Seez <3's>

--Break for a conversation about how Sonic doesn't always have locations in the same areas that the commercials are aired--

Lovefest: Seez and I have have talked about this in the past. But for the record.. How'd you and he started touring together? Also, what's it like to work with Seez; on tour and making music together?

Dez: I just do this for the money. I hate Seez.

Seez: When you make music independently and/or are not on a medium-large record label, you kind of have to reach out to others in your area/region who are doing similar projects in order to build a network. Its difficult to work your way up completely by yourself. So, it's good to have that support from others who are in the same boat as you. And of course I'm not going to work with people just because I get along with them. I have to actually like their music and support what they do..

Lovefest: Right, I remember you saying that when we spoke about you're last tour, for instance. Like when you took Cubbiebear with you, you obviously knew he was a good artist and hard worker, and in the end, he fully appreciated the opportunity you gave him. (Check out Lovefestonline's Coverage of the Big Mama Tour; Part One of the Disposable Camera Series)

Seez: Exactly. So anyway, I met Nobs at Scribble Jam many years ago. We kept in touch and he stayed with me some time later, when he came down for a Warped Tour. Later, after their release of Behemoth (Dez & Nob's First Album) is when I met Dez. I liked the work that they were doing and so we started setting up shows to play together. And the rest is history..

Lovefest: So Dez, what about Nobs? How did you two meet and fall in love?

Dez: Well, [a former] girlfriend of mine went to Scribble Jam years back and among other things kept raving about this particular CD she got with Phlegm and Nobs on it. I gave it a listen and really liked it as well. So I reached out to Nobs initially. We met a few times and he came out to see me perform. I was keeping busy putting out multiple demos of my own and he was working with [Hand Held Aspects] and [3 Sides of a Circle]. -Long story short- In the meantime, we eventually started working on music together and released Behemoth in 2006.

Lovefest: Ok, so let's talk touring. You've done mostly East Coast shows so far. Do you see yourself venturing out into other parts of the country in the future?

Dez: Most definitely, I love traveling. I want to get back to Minneapolis. I like California and Texas. I mean, this is what I ultimately want to do; play shows all over. We're actually going to be in Europe in May. One place I would love to go is Hawaii! I would love to get out there.

Lovefest: Aside from your home town, what has been your favorite city to perform in?

Dez: I like performing in Connecticut. Lots of Cardboard City folks up there. Umm, Cincy, Pittsburgh, DC, Minneapolis. Honestly, I like to perform where I walk into a place and the crowd is ready to have fun, no matter what you throw at them. When you are trying to perform for people who are kind of uptight and not ready to get down/ have fun with you..

Lovefest: Like ...[index finger to the nose to lift the head up]... Snobby?

Dez: Right. I mean mostly places I just mentioned draw crowds that are fun, but none like Albany and CT. It's as if we're performing for family. Everyone is welcoming and excited to hear us no matter what.

Lovefest: What about venues? What are the best/your favorite venues to perform in? I know as someone who attends LOTS of shows, there are certain things that I may like/dislike about certain venues that sometimes sway my decision as to whether I will attend. But a concer-goer's perspective is different than the performers..

Dez & Seez: Well, its more so the crowd that matters, not necessarily the venue. We also like to try different venues each time we go to a city.

Dez: The staff that work at these venues plays a role in whether we like the place or not, as well.

Lovefest: I totally agree. I personally don't like to go to 9:30 in DC because I think the staff there are [not nice].

Dez: You know what the most important thing is, honestly? The sound man! Seriously, if you don't have someone that knows what they're doing, it could ruin a show.

Seez: "YEAH! Having a venue without a good sound man is like having sex with someone that's alseep!"

Lovefest: Dude, I'm going to quote you on that. For real.. that's hilarious.

Lovefest: Ok, so we've gotta know.. what has been your strangest or most memorable tour moment EVA??

*Seez, Dez and Timmy all looked at each other simultaneously and started laughing*

Seez: Can I take this one? haha.. Ok, so we were just in VA playing a show in Richmond.
There were of course local acts that were opening up for us. So there were these two guys. One was rapping about blunts and 40's, ect. and he would pass the mic off to this other guy. Well, the other was a much more aggressive rapper. No lie, this dude had on a wrestling belt. Like a WWE -type massive wrestling belt.

Lovefest: Wow, so it sounds like these two rappers were like extreme opposites. As if they were on different ends of a 'rap' spectrum.

Seez: Yeah; strange combination. So, after the second guy would finish rapping and passed the mic back to the first guy, he would just stand there; Arms folded in front of him, chest sticking out and a completely serious look on his face. I mean this guy would literally hold his arm out to someone in the crowd and affirm them, as if he was gunning for them. I mean this guy was dead serious.

Lovefest: Oh my goodness, so he kept the role going as to keep the crowd entertain? Like he believed he was that character and wouldn't break from it?

Seez: Yeah, he believed in his product.

Dez: Ha, he sold crack, but he believed in his product.

**Note: Lovefest attempted to record this story on camera, although failed miserably due to the noise volume in the restaurant. Unfortunately I wasn't able precisely recreate/describe the story that Seez told, because I am an admittedly terrible story-teller. However, they will be posting footage of was just talked about on StashboxTV. Stay tuned..

Lovefest: So as far as tours go, what would be your ideal line up, to play with?

Dez: I like to do shows with my friends and who's art I respect. Louis Logic, Timmy and Seezmics obviously, Alaska from Hangar 18 is a good dude..

Lovefest: I know this is like asking you to go to work yet being told you're not allowed to work... but who would you like to see? What would be your ideal line up to sit back and watch?

Dez: Big-Biz and the Melvins, Jay-Z, Sade, Portishead, Atmosphere has always put on a good show. Definitely ICE CUBE! excited to go see him at Paid Dues this year! Ice T.

Timmy: Slick Rick and Doug E Fresh!!

(All agreed on MJ)

Dez: Anyone with a live band as well. I saw Jay-Z with a band; that was Phenomenal. The Roots; always a great show.

Lovefest: Im a huge Roots fan. I have a tradition where every time I drive into Philly I put on Illadelph Half life.

Dez: Oh! Also, A Tribe Called Quest. I saw them a while back at "Party in the Park" in Albany's Lincoln Park. They got on stage and the crowd was out of control.

--As we we're leaving the restaurant, we continued our conversation in transit to the venue--

Lovefest: I know you've stayed busy in the meantime, but how does it feel to finally release this follow up album?

Dez: I feel like I've been pregnant for four years.

Lovefest: Haha. What is your formula for making music?

Dez:Im a work horse. I don't really think about it too much. I just do it. I make music like I'd check off a grocery list. Each song revolves around a certain theme, so I just go through and make each song as it pertains to something I may be thinking about or would like to address.

Lovefest: Well, what can fans expect from this album? What would you like to say to your fan base as a whole; older or newer fans?

Dez: This album is straight to the point. Our last album seemed to have more anomalies. We have also endure more shit in our lives since Behemoth.

Lovefest: Right, so of course that's going to filter through..

Dez: Think of it like this; If you're hungry, a delicious juicy steak would be extremely satisfying, no? But sometimes a simple and quick grilled cheese could be satisfying all the same, right?

Lovefest: Ok..

Dez: Well, in that case, "Rocky Dennis" is like the Meat and Potatoes of albums.

Lovefest: Nice, I can dig that. To wrap this up, what is your current job and how does it affect your music?

Dez: I Manage a restaurant; I bar tend, cook, serve. A lot of my songs have food incorporated into what I'm saying.

Lovefest: Whats the Strangest job you've ever had?

Dez: Being a rapper.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and if you haven't seen our post-interview "Rap-L I B S" Session with the boys, check it..




-Thanks for your time, gentlemen-

The turkey burger was delish!

You all are hilarious. *Hugs*

-Crista and Izzie


Keep an eye out for "Rocky Dennis".

Official release date: May 4th

Available for purchase at the on-line store @

www.lethalville.net



Other Lovefest Suggestions:

Educated Consumers - Big Mama, Write Hear

Timmy Wiggins - The 90's Mixed Tape hosted by Chauncey

No comments:

Post a Comment