Friday, June 26, 2009

Beowulf and his Tragic Flaws

Fans pay tribute all over the world.


In 8th grade Literature class, I remember my teacher talking about "tragic heroes" and their "tragic flaws". I recall an example from the old story Beowolf, where his courage, typically considered a positive trait, led to his ultimate demise. Another example would be Romeo, the lovestruck teenager, crumbling under the influence of his burning passion, where one would expect the protagonist to succeed in his quest for love. Michael Jackson, you could say, is our generation's tragic hero.

In hearing of the death of Michael Jackson, I was frozen. I was at work, a place with no room for emotional wavering, and decided to withhold my reaction until I could be alone. There, in my car, on my break, I cried.

I cried because I lost a lot that day. I didn't just lose an idol of my youth; I lost a part of my childhood. I lost the kid, at 6 years old, that was so in love with Michael that I requested "Rock With You" from my local radio station once a day for weeks. I'd huddle around my sister's neon pink and green radio and listen with baited breath.

I lost the kid that used to write "Mrs. Michael Jackson" in crayon during my after school program with my childhood friend Jassenia, equally obsessed. I remember watching Moonwalker until the tape broke in my neighbor's vcr. I cried all night.

There's something about Michael that was frozen in a time of youth and innocence. It's my opinion that Michael suffered severe trauma from the repeated domestic abuse and lack of childhood. The kid just wanted to be....a kid. And here he was, mid-thirties, doing his best to ensure that no child in his presence be mistreated the same way. In this effort to change the world and the way we consider our youth, he fell prey to suspicious situations that led to his character destruction and eventually became almost what one could say is a joke. (Ahem, southpark. Yeah I thought it was hillarious.)

In this tragic tale of innocence misunderstood and strange antics performed by the king of pop himself, we saw the crumbling of a legend. And upon his death? His fans rose and joined in celebrating his AMAZING talent, global appeal, passionate love for animals and children and mourned the loss of our previous selves, inspired by the magic and the entertainment that was Michael.

Michael's death reminds us not only of our mortality generally speaking, but also reminds us of the growing pains we experience throughout life, far into adulthood. These times are full of sacrifice, loss of innocence, and circumstances we simply cannot explain nor control. In these times we are staring aging, and eventually death, in the face. These are the times to remind ourselves what life is all about, something Michael was much in touch with- love, music, our earth, and our future generations. We have lost a great legend.


Rest In Peace, Michael Jackson.





4 comments:

  1. Well said. I have tons of great memories of MJ too. What boy in the '80s didn't want to be him, and what girl didn't want to be his wife?

    R.I.P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we bonded over mj at the dinkytowner before we became good friends... i literally just remembered that night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's nuts. I was thinking about this: SO many people all over the world are focusing on the same day in with the same memories and feeling of loss. I wonder what kind of energy that creates. I sound like such a hippie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In all honesty I think MJ's death is more indicative of the furious circlejerk that happens when someone dies. Sure, MJ fiddled a few kiddies but I mean seriously he was so amazing his penetration of the children's supple anuses a moot point. This points more to a couple of things, firstly, the mitigation of negativity in someone's life upon their death (see: every funeral ever) and secondly, a strong desire of people to hop onto the sympathy bandwagon because MJ was just such a huge part of their lives (omg). So while your point is valid I think the omphalos of the issue isn't MJ's talent but moreso our ability to strap on the blinkers and ignore everything else.

    Also, fuck you, I thought this post would be about Beowulf, which I am absolutely fucked for, as opposed to sucking a black/white man's child-smeared penis.

    ReplyDelete