Monday, August 30, 2010

No Weak Heart Shall Prosper



I think the best kept secrets are those passed along by friends. That's how I first came to know about The Pirate Signal. While word of mouth whisperings and mixtape emails are all well and good I'd have to say that these days the secret is out. Begging to be blasted at maximum volumes to fully unleash its full genre bending mashup of awesome, this is most definitely not your kid sister's favorite emo indie rappers. So when given the opportunity to review The Pirate Signal's "No Weak Heart Shall Prosper" album, like any juicy secret, I couldn't resist sharing it with Miss Izzie and since two sets of ears are better than one this is our collaborative take on the album. As my friends can attest, I consider the word "review" to be a dirty word. A task I only perform when really truly warranted (No Bird Sing/Soulcrate.) While I've been a fan for a while this was Izzie's first introduction to The Pirate Signal.

For me personally, it was an acquired taste, but one that I grew increasingly fond of after each listen. From bits of drum & bass to rock, to auto-tune, scratches, guitar, banging drums.. the beats are unpredictable. At times I knew I was listening to something modern and cutting edge, while others I'd think I was hearing a blast from the past- late 90's rap-rock era. Yonnas has a distinct voice and tone. Lyrically he stands apart, darker than your average flow- layered with poetic lines. The female vocals on some tracks set it over the edge. I think Digital... Rock sum's up what you're in for; hip hop/digital rock/pop. But it still can't prepare you for the diverse hodge podge of musical elements.

The whole album feels like a hurricane in my headphone, taking you through a whirlwind of genre bending tracks. Songs that echo back in your brain for days. I admittedly get really attached to albums for extended periods of time. Crescent Moon is in Big Trouble? No Bird Sing? When I love on something I love on it hard. This is one of those albums that has yet to leave my playlist and I don't foresee living without it anytime soon.

Though I chose a different career path, as a musician at heart, I always dreamt of creating an album that could not be categorized into any genre. I wanted to create music period; therefore I wanted to make each song sound completely different than and unrelated to the next. With the P S, you kind of get a sense of this. If you were to leave this album playing straight through and carry on with whatever you were occupied with prior, you'd probably forget that you were listening to the same group half way through. Now, sometimes too much could be overwhelming and in turn, be a turn off. In this case, the P S gives you such variety that it keeps you interested; gives you a feeling of a book left open.. You can never quite put your finger on what you're hearing, so you continue to listen. Izzie gives two thumbs up.

Fellow friends here in the West can catch Pirate Signal live this week 8/31 @ Baby Sale in Boise, 9/1 @ Ash Street Saloon in Portland, 9/2 @ El Corazon in Seattle, 9/3 @ Hidmo in Seattle, 9/6 @ Hubwize in Huntington Park and 9/9 @ Black Market Goods in Albuquerque. "No Weak Heart Shall Prosper" can also be purchased digitally on itunes.

-Izzie & Salina

No comments:

Post a Comment