Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Lovesong for the Upper Left Coast

Here at Lovefest we focus on the things that we enjoy about hip hop, which is why I hope you as a region, Pac NW, forgive me for being a little hard on you all as fans. Prior to moving here I had heard it plenty from the artists themselves - "*insert city here* doesn't give a shit about artists until they've moved away." For a long time I thought it was absurd, maybe these dudes hadn't paid their dues yet and were being big rapper babies. However, upon moving here I found it to be completely true. Dues are being paid but where the fuck are you as fans? I don't want to be hard on you as a region because I love you all, Oregonians and Washingtonians, and in the short time I have lived in your states I have done nothing but fall in love with what you have to offer.

What I'm disappointed in is that you haven't done the same, especially when it comes to rap shows in your bigger cities (Portlanders and Seattlites I'm looking you square in the eyeballs.) I have made it a point to see everyone and anyone I can. These dudes (and the occasional dudettes) deserve more support than they're getting out here. I get that everyone wants their local artists to be Atmosphere (you've made that quite apparent by playing it in every bar and before every show), but it's ok because no one else IS or WILL BE Atmosphere. That spot is reserved for Slug and Ant. In the meantime why not celebrate what you have.

I have been so fortunate during my time in the Pac NW to go to a variety of shows. However, I come from the land of sold out Black Clover, Doomtree, and Rhymesayers shows. Your local artists could have that level of a audience, if only you respected your local artists more and made the effort. In the end I hope that I piss some of you off because I feel like that's the only way you will prove me wrong. PROVE ME WRONG, DAMNIT! What do you need? They all have twitters that will tell you when their shows are, or Myspaces (If you're still into that). You can even "fan" them on Facebook. I just want to grab you by your shoulders and shake each and every one of you in the Upper Left Coast. As Kanser says, "Support Broke Rappers!"

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete