Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Rain, rain (don't) go away...



I love the rain. No, I REALLY love the rain. I love the smell of wet grass, the freshness of cleansed air, and the rainbows in puddles on the roads. Rain is sensual. Rain, for all man's existence, has been associated with cleansing, rebirth, growth, fertility, and renewal. Rain is paired with every living thing like an undying marriage, giving birth to change and new beginnings. I love the sound of rain on a car roof when you're warm and safe inside. I also love to open my windows and listen to music when it rains. I don't mind a few stray raindrops getting inside, and I welcome the wind as my stereo serenades me in my solitude. I have created a list of songs I recommend for rainy day enthusiasts (Seattle-ites will hate me for this blog entry!). I dare you to make a "rainy day mix" and set it aside until that gray day arrives. Pop it in, get warm and comfortable, and bask in the mix!


13 & God- "ghost work" (the whole album is perfect)
Pulp- Being Followed Home
Fever Ray- If I had a Heart
Brother Ali- Rain Water
Devics- Keys
Portishead- Teardrop
Telepopmusic- Sonic, Don't Look Back
Weezer- Sweater Song
Erykah Badu- On and On
Nina Symone- Four Women, Mr. Bojangles
Beatles- Blackbird
Amy Winehouse- WIll You Still Love Me Tomorrow
Ani DiFranco- Little Plastic Castles, Gray
Radiohead- No Surprises
P.O.S- that one, been afraid
Atmosphere- Bleed Slow
Louie Armstrong- What a Wonderful World
K.- Jenga!, Riderback
Guster- Rainy Day
Bush- Letting the Cables Sleep
Better Than Ezra- A Lifetime
Billie Holiday- Rain or Shine
Bjork- Gloomy Sunday
City and Colour- Comin' Home
Soulcrate- Novacaine Rain
Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole- Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Coldplay- Trouble
Chris Thile- Raining at Sunset
Radiohead- House of Cards
Jeff Buckly- Hallelujah
The Cure- Desintegration
Mariah Carey- Butterfly, Music Box, My All
Bill Withers- Ain't No Sunshine
Elliot Smith- Angeles
Garbage- I'm Only Happy When It Rains
Regina Spektor- Lacrimosa
The Cranberries- Dreams
Dessa Darling- Into the Spin


These are only a handful contributed by myself and Chris and Botzy. If you have any ideas, feel free to add!







1 comment:

  1. interesting fact. Mobile, Alabama is the rainiest city in the US. i was shocked when i found out.

    ReplyDelete